BYPASS ROADWHY SHOULD YOU CARE?
The proposed road:
- Is not needed
- Will be built through the Fernkloof Nature Reserve, Hermanus Country Market, Hermanus High School and Hermanus Private Pre-and Primary School grounds
- Will destroy critically endangered Overberg Sandstone Fynbos
- Offers negligible potential benefits
- Will be a waste of scarce public funding that can be spent on real needs
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?What is the bypass road?
The Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works, Roads proposes to build a bypass around the Hermanus CBD between the Mimosa Street intersection at Gateway Shopping Centre and the Fairways Avenue intersection with Main Road. It claims that this is necessary to:
- Respond to anticipated increases in traffic volumes and congestion through the CBD
- Allow the implementation of the Hermanus CBD Regeneration Framework
- Satisfy the need for the R43 to meet classification criteria for a Class 2 Major (Urban) Arterial road
Whale Coast Conservation, Hermanus Botanical Society and the Hermanus Ratepayers Association, amongst many other concerned organisations and individuals, locally and internationally, dispute the need for the proposed bypass and object to the biased representation of I&AP Inputs about the impacts of the proposed road on the environment and wellbeing of the community.
WHAT CAN I DO?Register as an Interested and Affected Party (I&AP) by completing the following
By filling in the following you will write a letter in support of the submission made by Whale Coast Conservation and register yourself as an I&AP